Click here for information on the 2022 Membership Renewal Promotion.
AMA (WA) for doctors, for health
Providing leadership during COVID-19
- Providing ongoing leadership during the pandemic for the effective roll-out of the vaccination program and in regard to safer quarantine measures, including lobbying for the acknowledgement of airborne spread of COVID-19.
- Releasing a COVID Emergence Plan providing a detailed assessment of transitioning out of strict border restrictions, while protecting vulnerable cohorts through a stepped approach.
- Ensuring the continuation of elective surgery in private hospitals when public hospital elective surgery was ceased by the State Government.
- We had the backs of our GP registrars when we reversed the cancellation of their all-important exams during lockdown.
Securing entitlements and enforcement of your workplace rights
- Holding WA Health to account for providing better and safer working conditions via our exclusive Hospital Health Check and Morale + Engagement surveys.
- Securing a landmark win in the WA Industrial Relations Commission for two doctors working at the Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC), who were involved in a protracted pay dispute with WA Health.
- Calling for safer working conditions at Bunbury Regional Hospital, leading to a WorkSafe investigation.
- Successfully negotiating a replacement industrial agreement for St John of God Healthcare clinicians, securing pay increases better than those offered by WA Health.
- Strongly advocating for the retention and portability of entitlements for training within WA, interstate and overseas.
- Ensuring public hospital doctors receive payment for all hours worked, including on-call and recall. We continue to prosecute incidents of wage theft on behalf of DiTs.
- Successfully fighting for interns at Fiona Stanley Hospital to be paid for hours worked prior to their contracted start dates.
The leading voice in public health policy
- Releasing a 15-point Action Agenda to address key issues such as ramping, public hospital capacity, and COVID-19 safety and preparedness.
- Remaining at the forefront of health policy development with a range of submissions on issues including state infrastructure, the prevention of family and domestic violence, the sexual harassment of women on FIFO mine sites, the review of mental health services for children and adolescents and much more.
- Leading the debate on public health, including action on climate change and health.
Driving change for doctors nationally
- From effecting recent wins such as securing a no-fault Vaccine Indemnity Compensation Scheme and staving off incursions by Pharmacy, to resolving the pathology rent issue and the Medicare freeze for GPs first
- Working with the Federal Government to make telehealth permanent, building on the success of the model developed in the wake of COVID-19.
- Participating in the AMA Public Hospital Report Card, adding to the call for a better federal funding model to address the gridlock experienced in the public hospital system across the country.