AMA (WA) for doctors, for health
Providing leadership during COVID-19
- Providing ongoing leadership during the pandemic for the effective roll-out of the vaccination program and in regard to safer quarantine measures, including lobbying for the acknowledgement of airborne spread of COVID-19.
- Releasing a COVID Emergence Plan providing a detailed assessment of transitioning out of strict border restrictions, while protecting vulnerable cohorts through a stepped approach.
- Ensuring the continuation of elective surgery in private hospitals when public hospital elective surgery was ceased by the State Government.
- We had the backs of our GP registrars when we reversed the cancellation of their all-important exams during lockdown.
Securing entitlements and enforcement of your workplace rights
- Holding WA Health to account for providing better and safer working conditions via our exclusive Hospital Health Check and Morale + Engagement surveys.
- Securing a landmark win in the WA Industrial Relations Commission for two doctors working at the Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC), who were involved in a protracted pay dispute with WA Health.
- Calling for safer working conditions at Bunbury Regional Hospital, leading to a WorkSafe investigation.
- Successfully negotiating a replacement industrial agreement for St John of God Healthcare clinicians, securing pay increases better than those offered by WA Health.
- Strongly advocating for the retention and portability of entitlements for training within WA, interstate and overseas.
- Ensuring public hospital doctors receive payment for all hours worked, including on-call and recall. We continue to prosecute incidents of wage theft on behalf of DiTs.
- Successfully fighting for interns at Fiona Stanley Hospital to be paid for hours worked prior to their contracted start dates.