J U N E 2 0 1 7
M E D I C U S
F O O D
W I N E
F O O D
IT’S COLD OUTSIDE
and if you’re craving a warm, wholesome meal, look no further than this page – a delicious warming Curried
Mussel Soup from Nantes, and a simple truffle cheese toastie. Perfect accompaniments to all the great TV shows being aired
at the moment. Watching President Frank Underwood at his manipulative best in
House of Cards
while sinking my teeth into a
cheesy toastie – that’s a hard one to top!
Soup & Toast – on another level
MOUCLADE - CURRIED MUSSEL SOUP
MANJIMUP BLACK TRUFFLE & ABONDANCE CHEESE TOASTIES
1.5kg fresh mussels,
de-bearded and scrubbed
3 large shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Good pinch of saffron
375ml dry white wine
Good sprig of fresh thyme
3 potatoes, peeled and finely
300ml crème fraiche
1.5 litres fish or chicken stock
2 heaped teaspoons curry
powder, roasted till fragrant
Sea salt and freshly ground
2 tbs chopped flat leaf parsley
90 grams Abondance
1 fresh black truffle (a
15-20 gram truffle would
Extra virgin olive oil
• Melt half the butter in a large lidded
saucepan, add shallots and garlic and
sweat until soft.
• Soak the saffron stamens in the white
• Add thyme, and wine (with saffron)
to the shallots, bring to a fast boil,
add mussels, fit lid tightly and steam
until mussels open (approximately
• Pour liquid/mussels into a colander, reserving liquid.
• Remove mussel flesh from shells, reserving a few in their shells to garnish the soup.
• Heat the remaining butter in saucepan and add potatoes and leeks and sweat slowly for
• Fine-strain the mussel cooking liquid over vegetables, add stock and bring to the boil. Simmer
until vegetables are tender.
• Strain and purée vegetables in food processor, adding them back to the cooking liquid.
• Add crème fraiche and roasted curry powder, season and gently warm.
• Sprinkle reserved mussel flesh and whole mussels into soup and serve immediately with
lashings of chopped parsley.
• Pre-heat oven to 200C.
• Slice the baguette into 24 one centimetre
• Slice some of the Abondance and lay onto
one slice of bread, shave the black truffles
tissue paper thin and add a few slices then
sandwich together with another slice of
bread; keep going until all of the bread is
• Lay the toasties onto a baking tray and
drizzle generously with the olive oil, turn over and repeat.
• Place into the oven and cook for approximately 6 minutes until the toasties are crispy, golden
brown and the cheese filling has melted.