Beware of button batteries: AMA (WA)

Beware of button batteries: AMA (WA)


Monday 30 December 2013

thumbnail

Parents should be vigilant this Christmas season when their children play with toys and other items powered by button batteries, the Australian Medical Association (WA) has warned.

 

“Thousands of toys powered by small batteries will be given to children in WA over the next few days. Unfortunately, some of these batteries will be swallowed by young children,” AMA (WA) Vice President Dr Michael Gannon said.

 

Australian emergency departments see an average of four children admitted with battery-related issues ever week, with children under the age of five seeing the most admissions.

 

“As a parent with young children I know how common small batteries are in the toys we buy our kids. Many of them are small and easily swallowed. We need to be vigilant over this Christmas period to ensure that our children are safe when doing something as innocent as playing with their toys.”

 

“Many of these will pass through the digestive system of children but some, unfortunately, will get lodged, react with the saliva and cause corrosion.

 

“This corrosion can cause horrific internal damage in as little as two hours, and sometimes irreparable damage and even death is the result of a carelessly placed toy.

 

The road to recovery for these types of injuries is long and often requires breathing and feeding tubes and multiple surgeries, to repair the damage,” Dr Gannon said.

 

“These days of course it is not just in toys that button batteries are found. Even some Christmas cards have tiny batteries that are attractive to small eyes and accessible to small hands,” he said.

 

“It is an unfortunate reality that some children this Christmas will have to be taken to hospital emergency departments as a consequence of something that should not just be harmless but also should be fun – playing with a Christmas toy or other gift,” Dr Gannon said.

 

The AMA has called for all batteries to be protected by child-proof casing, and for parents to remain vigilant over the festive season.

 

“The last thing anyone needs over Christmas is a tragic, yet completely preventable accident. “We urge parents to make sure all battery-operated appliances are inaccessible to inquisitive children, and to remain safe over the festive season,” Dr Gannon said.

Have Your Say

Do you support the TGA's decision to make codeine-based medicines prescription only?




View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Why I Joined the AMA (WA)...
"It is my hope that we can tackle the challenges our profession faces, united as one. If we dislike our working hours, our pay, gender inequality or low training opportunities, we can change these together. As a nurse in my previous life, I know that when a profession stands as one, people listen."
Dr Rebecca Cogan
Dr Rebecca Cogan
Blog
Setting the agenda on the End-of-Life debate
Dr Katharine Noonan
Thursday, 31st May 2018

It is an issue that will dominate political, medical and ethical debate in Western Australia over the next year, if not longer.   And the Australian Medical Association (WA) is determined to have the voice of the medical profession heard …